Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Rochester "Staycation"


It probably isn’t often that you get a chance to stay at a hotel in your own hometown.  Because seriously, why would you bother?  The last time I did was in the late 90’s, just after I had moved in with my fiancé (now husband) and he went on a business trip.  For some reason I couldn’t fathom, the alarm system wasn’t working (it turned out to be a minor electrical problem, but in my irrational fear mode, Charlie had done it on purpose to have me killed while he was away, so he’d have an alibi and not have to marry me!).  I checked myself in, nightly (giving no address – I didn’t want the hotel staff to know the house was unprotected), to the local Best Western, leaving early each morning to get home and ready for work.  Thankfully, since then, either we’ve had functioning alarm systems or I’ve made friends with people who would let me crash with them when Charlie traveled!

Luckily, this stay, at the Del Monte Lodge Renaissance Rochester Hotel & Spa, in Pittsford, would be as a couple, and for fun, not fear.  We had “won” a spa/stay package at a silent auction at some benefit gala, and we had to use it last weekend before it expired.  We put our dog in jail (I mean a kennel) and headed over for our evening massage appointments.  The spa was lovely and calming; the women’s side was decorated in beiges and creams, including the gas fireplace, and I was told the men’s side was darker and more manly.  We both had very relaxing massages (and I even ran into my neighbor Kathy, who’d just had a mani/pedi!) before heading to the Erie Grill for a delicious dinner. 

The hotel recently renovated the restaurant, so the décor now complements the cuisine.  There seemed to be a good crowd for a Friday night, and many of the diners were locals who were not staying overnight.  The large windows overlooking the Erie Canal let us enjoy the crew teams practicing as well as a lovely sunset through the rail bridge. We took a short walk around the village of Pittsford after dinner before turning in. I was a bit worried that being so close to the railroad tracks would make sleep problematic, but incredibly, I did not hear any trains over the white noise of the air conditioner. 


After a yummy breakfast, we departed, leaving early to ‘beat the traffic.’ The staff were all very friendly and the room was quite comfortable – I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone with ‘overflow’ guests, and the restaurant to anyone especially craving red meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment