Monday, September 2, 2013

Geva Cohorts Kickoff & Read-Through of "All Your Questions Answered"

(All Your Questions Answered, written by Greg Kotis and directed by Sean Daniels, will open September 19 at the Geva Theatre as part of the Rochester Fringe Festival)

So, full disclosure about my theatre preferences.  First of all, I am "always in thrall most, to anything almost" by Stephen Sondheim.  In the spreadsheet of all of the shows I've seen (part of my mild OCD), the highest counts are for Sondheim musicals, and a few non-Sondheim musicals/plays, such as Chess, Grey GardensThree Tall Women, and Proof.

There are some wonderfully quirky shows that I've always wished either to see again or to see other shows by their creators, including Waverly Gallery, Joined at the Head, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, and Urinetown the Musical.  How lucky could I get to have the opportunity not just to see Urinetown again this year (at Nazareth College in October), but to meet Greg Kotis, who wrote the book and lyrics, and see a new work by him - All Your Questions Answered!

Geva Cohorts Kickoff
The Cohorts were invited to the kickoff meeting for Pump Boys and Dinettes and All Your Questions Answered (although we would only be involved in the latter show, both were starting rehearsals on the same day). It seemed a bit chaotic as we crammed into a rehearsal hall upstairs at the Geva Theatre.  After we formed an enormous circle and everyone introduced him/herself, there was an overview of the costumes and set for Pump Boys (audience members will be invited onto the set at intermission to buy pie - how cool is that?  I'm glad I already have my tickets to that show!) and an introduction of All Your Questions Answered by Greg Kotis (playwright) and Sean Daniels (director).

All Your Questions Answered Read-Through
After we split up into our two separate shows, the Cohorts were invited onto the stage as the eight actors, stage manager, director, and playwright sat around a table and read through the script for the first time.  Parts had not yet been assigned, so actors just jumped in, although it seemed more premeditated to me!  (An actor later confirmed that despite my impression, there were indeed no assignments, although they'd all read the script beforehand, so perhaps had some ideas of which parts they might like to play.)  Sean and Greg explained that there was substantially more material than would fit in the eventual 90-minute production, so the read-through would also help them decide which skits to select for their "theatre tapas."  I found that description quite appropriate - there will be lots of little playlets, and since not everyone has the same taste, or sense of humor, not every play will appeal to every audience member.  It reminded me of a quote from Tina Fey's Bossypants:  "It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good," and that some people actually think the Three Stooges are funny, or that Jon Stewart is not - go figure!  But with luck, each play will appeal to enough people to provoke the desired response.

There seemed to be quite a few theatre-centric skits.  One of them reminded me of Invocation and Instructions to the Audience, from Sondheim's The Frogs.  Another sketch and song parodied the financial system, but I couldn't quite figure out whether it was ridiculing the banks, the consumers, or both.  As I proceed, I will try to refrain from talking about the details of the specific skits, so as not to give anything away before you see the show in person.

In rehearsing comedy, there is the challenge of "keeping it fresh as an actor."  I wonder if the Cohorts will also be challenged in hearing the same scenes multiple times - will we still find them funny (or not funny, as the case may be) when we see them as part of a real performance?  I only had time to stay for the first few skits and songs (which Greg sang and played guitar for), and I already got a glimpse of the actors' enthusiasm and talent.

Finally, I apologize that I won't have photos to share during this process.  They're forbidden due to union rules, I think!




No comments:

Post a Comment