Friday, September 20, 2013

Rochester Garden Club Flower Show at Seneca Park Zoo


My friend Bernie invited me to meet her at the zoo to admire this juried show of animal-inspired flower and horticulture displays (appropriately titled “It’s a Jungle Out There”).  I’m glad I got there a bit earlier than she, because it allowed me time to wander the zoo a bit and focus on some of the animal exhibits as well.  I stood for quite a while watching the orangutans before passing by the rhinos, who didn’t seem to be enjoying this beautiful, hot autumn day.  

The polar bear was even less happy – he remained mostly submerged, with a nice waterfall cascading on his head!  I was mesmerized by the trainers drilling an elephant (lifting feet, facing different directions, flapping its ears) in return for what appeared to be chunks of bagel.  I was only able to glance casually at the wolves and tigers and hyena and alligators, and will have to return on a cooler day, perhaps with a 2-year-old grand-niece in tow…

one of Cathy W.'s winners
Bernie, of course, knew many of the women floating around, some in Rochester Garden Club aprons, but even I recognized a few (mostly from bridge…), including my neighbor Linda, and my husband’s sister’s ex’s wife, Margaret!  The displays were all incredible, even those that only took Honorable Mentions. 

Too many 1st Place ribbons to count decorated one incredible arrangement after another by my talented neighbor Cathy W.  I was also excited to see my friend Victoria’s entries (including that unusual ‘leopard’ hat). 
One of the imaginative arrangements of succulents in the shape of an orangutan will apparently remain on display at the zoo.  It won the Rosie Jones Horticulture Award (“for a horticulture entry of exceptional visual appeal that reflects the spirit of growing with joy and enthusiasm and inspires others to propagate, grow, show and share horticulture”), and the judge’s citation summed it up:  “enthusiastic swinger, evokes the spirit of the show.”

What impressed me most about so many of the entries was how original they were. Bernie and I enjoyed reading the judges’ comments, as well, and I tried to understand when a particular vase was or wasn’t quite right for the arrangement, or when a sparing use of non-floral material was just the right amount to complement the flowers and give a sense of harmony, but just a bit more seemed to be too much… I kept thinking that while I might be able to copy one or two of them, I doubt I will ever have the inspiration necessary to create something original.  Hat’s off to these ladies and their creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment