Sunday, October 23, 2016

Make Every Woman and Girl Count - we’re walking, we’re walking…


When my friend Susan, the Executive Director of the Women’s Foundation of Genesee Valley, asked me if I would participate in the 5K walk/run to raise money for this worthy non-profit, of course I said “yes,” even though I’d only ever biked for charity before. And I enlisted a couple of my Concentus buddies to enter with me, although we weren’t all committing to the same pace. I am not a runner, but since it was a raw, blustery autumn morning, I did better than stroll…

There were over 30 “teams” of walkers and runners, with over 200 participants. When I checked the website right before the event, they had already raised around $25,000 from that group. The event had a long list of sponsors, including Medved, Wegmans, and Dixon Schwabl, who also provided support for the event. Kathy and I arrived at Genesee Valley Park around 9:15 to check in for the 10am start time, and Kate joined us just a bit later. We gathered our t-shirts and goodie bags and snacks, as well as bottles of Karma water – made right here in Rochester!

The race started precisely at 10, and we walkers took to the path directly after. We crossed over the Genesee River, then over the Erie Canal, and walked south along the river, past the Public Safety Training Facility, with its spooky burned-out-looking airplanes and pretend control tower. We made it back to the finish line in about 50 minutes (we were slowed a bit by my needing to stop occasionally for photos…). Kate had originally signed up to run, but walked with Kathy and me in solidarity, and we had a lovely chat about lots of things and nothing in particular (and kept our stress levels down by not talking politics!).

It was a great way to start a day that will end with Concentus rehearsal. I think you can still donate, if you’re interested. And thank you to everyone who contributed to my page!

No comments:

Post a Comment