Wednesday, October 26, 2016

5 Year Anniversary

Five years can feel like an eternity or a blink of an eye. I moved to Rochester five years ago this month, and on the one hand, can’t believe I haven’t lived here forever, and on the other, feel like I just got here. When my dad was still alive, he’d send us kids newspaper articles (this was before you could just send a web link…) that might interest us, and in 2001 and 2002, shortly after Charlie and I got married, he sent me two articles from the New York Times: “Rochester, Still a Cradle of Invention and Industrial Influence,” and “36 Hours – Rochester.” And of course I still have them! Of all of the recommended things to do, I’ve checked many of them off my list, even a defunct one (Rio Bamba), and the Elizabeth Collection and M.E.T.A.L. Museum (but only in its current incarnation as ARTISANworks). And I’ve managed to create my own to-do list and work my way through it, with the help of both old and new friends!

I thought I’d take a few minutes to reflect on my new life in Rochester. There are certainly things I miss about living in New Jersey – the proximity to the city and attending Broadway shows and the New York City Ballet; my long-time city friends; the Morristown Theatre, with its variety of musical, dance, and comedy presentations; the local duplicate bridge center, which was an actual place, and introduced me to two wonderful partners who have become very close friends; Newark Airport, with flights to everywhere. But there are things I don’t miss: how long it took to get in and out of the city, and the fact that Charlie rarely accompanied me, because it was such a chore; not having my own outside space, in our condo complex; the traffic and noise; the anonymity.

One of my favorite
paintings, at the MAG
When I first moved here, I missed, and wrote to Costco, REI, Omaha Steaks, and Whole Foods, pleading with them to expand to Rochester. Well, I’m batting 75%, and if Brighton gets its Whole Foods, I’ll be 4 for 4! In the meantime, I’ve developed a love of and allegiance to many Rochester institutions: Geva Theatre, the RPO, Susan B. Anthony House, Nazareth College Arts Center, the Memorial Art Gallery, RoCo, and the Seneca Park Zoo, to name just a few. And I’m in two singing groups, where I was in none in NJ. I’ve developed a respect for regional theatre and music that I never had, having always lived in a large city environment. I love the proximity to the Finger Lakes; being able to bike car-free on the Erie Canal; having a yard and garden (that, luckily, my husband loves to maintain!); the ease of getting to the Rochester airport, even though you can’t get many places directly from here; and being close to my husband’s family, when they’re in town… Most of all, I’m grateful for the many friends I’ve made here, and the ease with which I’ve been able to integrate into this community.

Rocapella performing at a
nursing home
I know I’m not a true Rochesterian, but I’m evolving, and in a momentary lapse, I even recently found myself referring to downtown Rochester as “the city”! We live in a great neighborhood, and it’s the first time in 35 years – my entire adult life – that I haven’t shared at least one wall with a neighbor.

Reflections on the Erie Canal
I’m sad neither of my parents, nor Charlie’s, nor Charlie’s oldest sister, lived to see our new house and to share in in our happiness here. But I have convinced most of my family to visit, and many friends as well. And they, too, are discovering the attraction of “upstate.” I look forward to many more happy years in my new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment