Saturday, July 9, 2016

Rocappella at Horizons

Growing up, I didn’t want to be a lawyer, like my dad, or a mother, like my mom; I wanted to be a teacher. It didn’t occur to me that I’d need way more patience than I had, and to be able to live on a relative pittance. For all the music lessons I took, I never had delusions of pursuing music as a profession – my talents are as a hobby and as educated audience, at best. But recently, I had the opportunity to participate in an educational experience involving music, at the Horizons Program at the Warner School of Education (at the University of Rochester). The program’s theme this summer is Performance, and I volunteered my a cappella group (Rocappella) to perform and teach the kids a song.

Our biggest and most animated audience yet!
Rocappella’s mission is to sing for fun and charity, and for what we hope is the joy we bring to our audience. We mostly perform at nursing homes, but this season we branched out to the downtown YWCA, and we hope to carol at the Ronald McDonald House in December. Singing for the Horizons kids was a little outside our scope, but it was an opportunity to show them that, just as you don’t need to be a professional to learn, play, or enjoy sports, neither do you need to be a professional to learn, perform or enjoy music.

We sang some of our more ‘upbeat’ and kid-friendly songs: Royals, Blackbird, All You Need is Love, as well as Summertime, from Porgy & Bess. On a couple of the songs, the kids started snapping and clapping along, not even needing to be told that “friends don’t let friends clap on 1 and 3.” And even though Royals turned out not to be the most appropriate choice for K-8th grade, lyric-wise, we could see some kids were singing right along with us!

I wanted to teach them a fun round, not something mindless like Row Row Row Your Boat that they already knew. I immediately thought of P.D.Q. Bach’s Art of the Ground Round (click here to listen to a recording on Youtube). None of my ‘fella pellas’ or Horizon’s Executive Director, Lynn Gatto, had heard of P.D.Q. Bach or Peter Schickele – how can that be? I decided that Nelly is a nice girl would be too racy, and Please, kind sir too difficult, but Loving is easy would be simple to teach and just silly enough. OK, this lack of judgment is perhaps another reason I’m not an educator – it was difficult just for my group to master! We did, though, and the kids all got the joke.  During the applause, Lynn quietly confirmed that it was too demanding for the kids, and we left on a high note. I hope I’ll be able to make it back to campus for the students’ end-of-term performances!

For more information on Horizons at Warner:

No comments:

Post a Comment