Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Live from Hochstein: the RPO


I had no idea that the RPO’s new maestro, Ward Stare, would be conducting this free lunchtime concert when my friend Martha asked if I was interested in attending with her, but I accepted the invitation anyway, just to have a chance to hear (and see…) the RPO in a more informal setting (brown-bagging lunch is encouraged, and the concert lasts under an hour).

The atmosphere was indeed relaxed, and it was fun to run into other friends in the audience, as well as to see young children, and even a couple of babies!  (Yes, one was probably heard on the broadcast.)  I was surprised that the orchestra was dressed in concert black, since none of the radio listeners would know if they were wearing tuxes or jeans (I recall being at a broadcast ago of Lake Wobegon decades ago, when Garrison Kiellor described for the listeners, in meticulous detail, the uniforms of the on-stage band, only they were wearing no such thing!)  The orchestra seats were reasonably full, despite the difficulty of parking in that area on a weekday, and it was weird finally seeing the WXXI host, Mona Seghatoleslami, in person (of course, I recognized her voice immediately).

The orchestra played two extremely familiar pieces (the overture to Rossini’s Barber of Seville, and Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 4 in A major, Op. 90 “Italian”), and I could hear a woman behind me humming along. Ward Stare was such a joy to watch conduct, as he danced to the beat of the Rossini. Martha, who was seeing him for the first time, remarked, “Oh my God, his energy is amazing!”

As much as I enjoy watching the conductor and musicians from the orchestra seats (principal violist, Melissa Matson, was particularly fun to observe, as her head hypnotically followed Stare’s baton at one point when the violas were silent), I wished that I had sat on the far side of the balcony, where I could have seen Stare’s face as he conducted, and viewed him almost from the perspective of the orchestra itself. Note to myself for next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment