Thursday, October 23, 2014

Infinity boxes by Matt Elson at the Memorial Art Gallery


First, let me say that there is no way to communicate how cool this exhibit is in words – you really have to see it in person – but I will try.
Linda & Sue in one of the boxes

In August, the Memorial Art Gallery ran an on-line fundraiser to bring the Infinity Boxes to Rochester, and one of the levels gave the supporters (and their friends) a private one-hour tour with the artist himself. It’s a rare privilege to actually meet a creator, so I didn’t hesitate. Although the boxes have been on a road trip cross-country (Matt lives in LA), the MAG is the first museum to host the exhibit. Marie Via, Director of Exhibitions, coordinated and accompanied us on our visit, and explained that while the bulk of the boxes are together in one room, others are strategically located throughout the galleries to encourage visitors to explore the entire museum (Matt remarked that this was an extraordinary experience for him as an artist). And since it’s such a compact museum, that isn’t such a hardship!

Many Gwens
Matt couldn’t have been more delightful as he introduced himself (his background is in computer graphics, and he spent time at both Dreamworks and Disney) and the Infinity Box concept: “artworks that play with and explore human perception and social connection.” Each box is different, each window provides a unique experience, and the boxes are “only active when they’re shared, because art happens in community.” 

Many Lindas
With one exception, each box requires at least two people to experience fully (“It takes two. I thought one was enough, It’s not true: It takes two of us”*). And since the perspective from each opening of each box differs, you need to take your time exploring. Matt urged us not to be timid, but to get our heads totally inside the boxes, to “immerse (ourselves) in the particular experience,” and to touch his artwork and exquisite frames on the outside. How often do you get that up close and personal with museum art? He also wants people to take pictures and share them, to encourage social interaction. Matt graciously offered to send me a copy of the audio he was recording of our tour, which allowed me to put down my notepad and really be present in the “here and now” of the experience.

Many mes
Although there are some warnings about possible vertigo or nausea, my group’s reaction was overwhelmingly:  “Wow!” No dizziness, just some occasional “magic eye” moments, and amazement at the miracle of mirrors, and the ways they can trick your eyes and brain. There was one box in particular that lent itself to panoramic photography. When I requested that he photograph me while I changed my expression, he remarked that I was “one of the very few people that intuitively gets that” (maybe you just have to be a bit of a geek...). Unfortunately, even though he called out “change” to warn me of the stitching, we weren’t quite in synch, so sometimes my face looks a bit wacky.

Sue, me, Matt, Linda, and Gwen
The exhibit runs through January 4, 2015, and would be great for taking visiting relatives to over the holidays. Apparently, all the security guards have been trained to assist museum-goers in experiencing the art, since they won’t have the benefit of personal instruction by the artist. I have a feeling I’ll be back a couple of times with different sets of friends, and I’ll keep trying for the perfect panorama.

For more information, visit the museum’s website: http://mag.rochester.edu/exhibitions/infinity-boxes/
Or Matt Elson’s website: www.mattelson.com

* It’s always Sondheim.

No comments:

Post a Comment