Friday, July 4, 2014

Ring of Fire


The first time I witnessed the Conesus Lake July 3rd Ring of Fire, I was overwhelmed by the magic created by the simple act of an entire community lighting flares at 10pm.  16 years later, I still look forward to the event and am amazed at the cooperation of strangers in keeping this tradition alive.  I have enjoyed introducing my family to this special treat over the years – first, my older brother, then my sister and her son, and this year, her daughter.  They have all been as impressed as I was my first time, and it’s something I don’t think they will ever forget.

Even though the ring doesn’t get lit until 10, the parties start early, and so do the fireworks.  It’s incredible to me the investment of time (since people must drive to Pennsylvania, where they are legal to purchase – but not to use, without a license), and money (because the elaborate displays are not cheap).  It would be fun to try to do the math sometime, and figure out how many tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of dollars literally go up in smoke that evening.  The Chinese aren’t dummies.  And the local police and fire department all seem to ignore this illegal annual ritual.

Thankfully, my husband’s family is content to be the beneficiaries of our neighbors’ excess, and we watch (some with hands over ears at the deafening noise) from the dock, where I also wonder if we mightn’t be at risk of being hit by a wayward firecracker or whatever detritus falls.  But it's the best vantage point, clear of the trees that block some of the displays, and perfect for seeing the reflection of the firework colors in the lake.  Last year, we noticed a new addition to the night – floating Chinese lanterns that at first looked like an invasion of UFOs.  This year, we actually added our own to the sky, and although the packaging claims they are 100% biodegradable, the rim sure felt like some sort of metal!
Yair lighting our lanterns
Charlie always has to leave early, because the fireworks reduce our 90-pound lab to a whimpering baby.  One year, when we put him in our bedroom for safekeeping, he carefully removed the sheets and then proceeded to shred the mattress cover.  Charlie doesn’t mind, because he then misses the traffic jam when the fireworks and parties are over, and hundreds of cars leave at the same time to head back to Rochester.  I try to stay just long enough to see the ring in its glory, but leave just before the roads become their own ring of red lights…

Happy Birthday, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment