Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Little Night Music – Pittsford Musicals


When I first heard my mother play the record of A Little Night Music in the mid-70s, I was too young to appreciate the genius of Steven Sondheim, and rolled my arrogant teenage eyes at lyrics like:  “She wouldn't...therefore they didn't... So then it wasn't...not unless it...would she?”

Luckily, it didn’t take me too long after I matured to understand his gift and become an ardent fan.  I saw this show three times in the 90’s before finally attending a performance with my mother, at the Kennedy Center Sondheim Celebration.  After suffering through Catharine Zeta-Jones’ performance in the recent Broadway revival just to see Angela Lansbury, I wished that the last performance I attended had been the 2009 Roundabout Theatre reading, featuring the perfectly cast Vanessa Redgrave and Natasha Richardson in the mother/daughter roles.  Until now.

I convinced Gwen, my frequent partner-in-audience, Concentus conductor, and not yet a Sondheim fan, to attend Pittsford Musical’s production of ALNM with me, at RIT.  I didn’t know what to expect, since amateur theatre exists on so many levels (and part of me is still looking for a group to participate in, not in a speaking role – the chorus would be fine!).  But since this show has a special place in my heart (I would play the CD to soothe my mother on her deathbed), I couldn’t miss seeing it staged again.

Despite the somewhat uncomfortable seats (even I found the legroom wanting) I thoroughly enjoyed this production.  The performers were all outstanding, and to me, the fact that the incredibly talented Allyn Van Dusen, whom I’ve seen perform with the Rochester Lyric Opera, had a smaller role, is telling.  One of my (and usually an audience’s) favorite songs, “The Miller’s Son,” comes near the end of the show, and Linda Dirksen Gressell did not disappoint in her sassy delivery.  There were only a couple of moments that jarred (a few wrong notes in the orchestra, a few noisy scene changes, and a lyric change – seriously, is Rochester so pious that “the goddamn papers” lost its “god”?).  The costumes and wigs were incredibly professional, and the sound system was better than in Nazareth’s enormous theatre. 

I am happy for the Rochester community that we have such a talented group of performers and producers in Pittsford Musicals, even if it means I’ll remain on the seated side of their fourth wall.  My next opportunity (and yours, unless you can catch the final performance of ALNM tonight) is their October production of the very funny musical Curtains.  Can’t wait!

For more info visit http://www.pittsfordmusicals.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment