Sunday, February 2, 2014

Ballet: RCB Style


I was eager to see the Rochester City Ballet perform at Nazareth again (the first time I saw them, in May 2012, with my dancer-friend Colleen and her husband, I was disappointed).  But after reading rave reviews of their performance at Jacob’s Pillow last summer, and chatting with someone on their Board, I thought I should give them another try. Last week’s extensive positive coverage of the company and the performance also reassured me that I hadn’t seen them at their best.

My friend Linda and I attended the matinee, and there was a good representation of ages in the audience.  The program was short – only four pieces, interspersed with commentary by Jamey Leverett, Artistic Director.  The first two pieces were excerpts from classical ballets, and were undistinguished (although ably performed), except for the lovely costumes.  It’s unfortunate that the economics of regional dance require recorded, instead of live, music, and especially since the sound system at Nazareth leaves a lot to be desired. 

Ms. Leverett, who choreographed the final two (more contemporary) pieces, explained the “RCB Style” as a diverse product line, with a mix of classical and contemporary ballet.  She described the former as “uplifted, weightless, and regal,” whereas the latter introduces a new vocabulary, and allows the choreographer to “break some rules” and “color outside the lines.”  She even had two dancers demonstrate some classical vs. contemporary ‘shapes’ and movements (I thought this was a creative way to help educate and involve the audience), which were then recognizable in her Alpine Garden, set to beautiful music composed by Jeff Tyzik.  The choreography and costumes complemented the music, and Linda and I enjoyed this piece the most, by far.

She also explained that part of “who the RCB is” is shaped by collaboration with other local organizations and artists, including the RPO, the Memorial Art Gallery, and local musicians and artists (including Brian O’Neill, whose paintings of the dancers will be featured at the Arts & Cultural Council in April).  The final piece, using a composition by a local musician, had live accompaniment – a double bassist who also provided vocals (which I kept wishing would stop).  Linda and I both agreed that the music was grating, and were amazed that it had inspired Ms. Leverett to create such stunning choreography.  The dancers also seemed to enjoy this piece, and it showed in their evocative performance.

At the conclusion, Ms. Leverett invited the audience to ask questions of her, the dancers, the musician, and the composer.  Linda and I left the theatre wishing there had been a bit more dancing and a bit less talking – for example, we would have loved to see more of Bravo! Colorado, from which Alpine Garden was excerpted.  Or anything else choreographed by the talented Artistic Director.  I’m looking forward to seeing the RCB perform with the RPO at Hochstein in March, and hoping that at least one of the pieces will be choreographed by Ms. Leverett, whose “coloring outside the lines” is a joy to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment