Saturday, October 5, 2019

University of Rochester Inauguration of President Mangelsdorf

The last time I wore a cap and gown was at my college graduation, almost 40 year ago. I didn’t attend my MBA graduation because at the time and place, anyway, doing that was for losers. Instead, a fellow grad and I toasted to each other, at the hour of the ceremony, on a beach in St. Maarten…

So I was curious when I was contacted by my college asking me to represent the school in the procession for the inauguration of the new president of University of Rochester. I wasn’t sure what it would involve, and I wasn’t sure I was worthy of the honor, since it was my understanding that the invitation was primarily for the presidents of colleges and universities. But it sounded like an interesting opportunity, and I accepted, and duly submitted my height and head circumference. The rental cap, gown and hood arrived in plenty of time, and I googled how to wear the hood, but it was clear to me I couldn’t arrange it properly myself. I did take the advice on the instructions and wear a button-down shirt, to attach the hood’s loop to (otherwise, you risked feeling strangled by the hood, since the bulk of the weight hangs down your back).

Luckily, there were experts on hand at Eastman, where the delegates assembled prior to the event in Kodak Hall. I was not the only alumni stand-in (in fact, the only presidents attending were from local colleges), and most needed help with their hoods... It was fun to see the different PhD colors and stripes and puffy hats, and to learn a bit about the different hood markings (the brown band at the top of mine, for example, is the disappointing color of the MBA).

We assembled in order of the schools’ founding, and since Middlebury’s 1800 is relatively early, I was among the first in line, behind Williams and in front of the University of Virginia (I had a nice chat with the U of R psychiatry professor delegate for that school). That also put us in the first row, so I didn’t have to worry about not being able to see because of someone’s cap in front of me (interestingly, the tradition is for men to remove their caps after processing, but women to keep them on. I wonder how that will evolve to accommodate non-binary gender individuals. If it were up to me, everyone would remove them…).

The Words of Welcome from different constituents of the university were both inspiring and emotional, especially Human Resources’ Ashley Campbell’s poetic welcome from the staff and CEO of Common Ground Health Wade Norwood’s passionate and moving welcome from the community (he even gave a shout-out to the university’s involvement with East High and Mt. Hope Family Center). A genuine admiration and respect for Mangelsdorf was clear from all of the welcoming addresses.

Before the Investiture, we were treated to a performance by the Ying Quartet of Jeff Beal’s The Pathway, and the audience applauded both the quartet and Beal, who was in the audience.

Mangelsdorf began her Inaugural Address with quotes from a letter from the first U of R President, Martin Brewer Anderson, 1853-1888 (although technically there was an acting president who preceded him from the University’s founding in 1850). They concerned the requirements to be a good university president, and while most were still true, others were amusing and quaint (one quality required being like a woman in some respects… because of course he couldn’t envision that a woman could actually BE a university president!). There was lots of talk about equity inclusion and diversity (from the welcome addresses as well), and it felt absolutely authentic. Mangelsdorf embraced the responsibility the University has as the largest employer in Rochester, and acknowledged that they are not just a university in the community, but also of the community and for the community. 

Singing the Alma Mater: The Genesee
Mangelsdorf certainly inspires a confidence that she can and will lead the university in its next exciting chapter. Meliora! 

No comments:

Post a Comment