Sunday, November 12, 2017

Wendell Castle Exhibit at the Memorial Art Gallery

Wendell Castle and the Memorial Art Gallery (MAG) – two things easy to take for granted in Rochester. The museum is tiny (by big-city comparison), and the first time I went, I breezed through in under an hour. But when I returned with Nanette, a friend visiting from Florida, and apologized in advance for its size, she helped me to slow down and appreciate the art, not just treat it like speed-dating. And so I’ve developed favorite pieces that I consider old friends, that I must seek out each time I go (and they do keep moving around…), so they won’t feel ignored. One of them, in fact, is even by Wendell Castle.

Castle's Wooden Art Table
Sure, there are pieces by this artist dotted around Rochester – a church here, a synagogue there, the Rochester Academy of Medicine, outside the Chamber of Commerce building, to name a few. And there are several in the MAG’s permanent collection (including Unicorn Family, in their outdoor park). But to see a large body of his (large) work all together in one room gives you pause.

I visited early one weekday morning and had the entire gallery to myself. I suspect that this will become a rare event as the calendar closes in on December 31, when the exhibit ends. I enjoyed the perspective the people-free hall gave me to see the artworks not just singly, but as a group. And I took the time to read the descriptions on the wall (I was particularly drawn to Whimsy and Randomness), and to contemplate the objects, and imagine using them as tables or chairs, if that’s what they represented.

DO TOUCH!
When I returned with Charlie during the MAG’s Fine Craft Show, we made a beeline for the exhibit, and I ignored my “friends” – I promised myself I’d make it up to them another time. He admonished me for touching one, but I knew from my first visit readings that this one was in-bounds – in fact, you are invited to touch the three models that illustrate Castle’s process of stack lamination.

This weekend, I doubled down on my promise, since Charlie and I had brunch at the Brown Hound (awesome Country Bistro Benedict, and we gave them a photo of Todd for their wall) and we supported the gift shop, but didn’t even make it into the museum proper… But my Baltimore brother is visiting for Festivus, so I will take that opportunity to redeem myself!

These are a few of my favorite things:
Josiah McElheny's Blue Prism Painting I
(there is no good vantage point for a photo
without including the photographer..)

Angela Ellsworth's Seer Bonnet XVI

Alison Saar's maquette for Swing Low
Fritz Traumtann's Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment