Thursday, March 31, 2016

Eastman - Musica Nova - Steve Reich

I am continually reminded how lucky I am to live in Rochester. Sometimes it’s the relief of not living in an extreme-weather part of the country, other times it’s the ease of getting around the area relatively traffic-free. Mostly, though, it’s because of the richness of the performing arts offerings in the Rochester area.

This time, I was lucky enough to attend a free concert at the Eastman School of Music (ESM) featuring the music of and a performance by legendary composer Steve Reich. I studied his compositions in a college Electronic Music class, which I ended up dropping (I had no problem mastering the machines or splicing reel-to-reel tape, but the entire course grade was based on an original composition, and I didn’t have an original thought to my name!). But his “Come Out” haunted me for years (click on the title to hear on youtube). And I was lucky that I arrived in time to find one of the last empty seats in the packed Kilbourn Hall. I joked to the young man next to me that they should have charged for tickets, and he replied, “No, the music belongs to the people!”

(photo by Ian Oliver, on Wikipedia)
Curious whether the older audience members were there because it was free or had actually heard of Steve Reich, I chatted with the two octogenarians to my other side. One said that she had taught dance at SUNY Brockport in the 1970s and had used Reich’s music to dance to – oh my! The other admitted she’d never heard of him, but figured she’d still enjoy the concert. Her head bobbed and her hands tapped the entire evening. The program began with the unassuming Reich performing “Clapping Music” with Brad Lubman, Associate Professor of Conducting. It was riveting to watch. Here is a link to Reich performing in London: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lesDb9GsQm4 and another of the scrolling score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzkOFJMI5i8. Genius!

Reich left the stage after much applause, and the ESM portion of the concert began, with the hypnotic “Quartet” of two pianists and two vibraphones. It was harmonically and rhythmically complex, and you could hear the vibes players breathing together as they prepared for fresh attacks. The students certainly rose to the challenge of Reich’s program notes explanation that the piece “calls for a high level of ensemble virtuosity.” Lubman returned to the stage to conduct “Radio Rewrite,” based on two Radiohead songs. There could be no subtlety in his movement, or the cohesion would be lost, and his broad, angular strokes reminded me of the people who direct traffic on airport runways.

I wonder if I will ever cease being amazed at the level of musicianship of the Eastman students. Or that you can enjoy this music for free (apparently, Eastman students present over 700 free concerts each year). We are so lucky there are still so many students willing and able to pursue a music degree, which may or may not provide post-graduation employment. And that Rochester has one of the few elite institutions that provide that education.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maggie! How have you been? I wish I had run into you after the concert so we could catch up. Glad to know that you were there too and had a great time.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete