Tuesday, January 20, 2015

RPO & Audra McDonald

Garth Fagan with Audra McDonald
post-concert
Not that I needed additional motivation to subscribe to the RPO this season, but doing so gave me early access to tickets to the special performance of Audra McDonald with the orchestra. I have been a fan of hers since I saw her on Broadway in Carousel and Master Class. I even endured Michael LaChiusa's miserable Marie Christine just to see her. And I've had the pleasure of seeing her in several Sondheim events, so I couldn't wait to see her perform solo, and I hoped, of course, that there would be a little Sondheim on the program...

The audience was more diverse than usual at this practically sold-out performance, and as she started to sing, someone yelled out, “I love you!” and without missing a beat, she incorporated an “I love you, too” mid-phrase. She shared a range of pieces from the Great American Songbook, and introduced us to some hysterical songs: “If Anyone Knows...” and “You Looked Sexy” from Gabriel Kahane's “Craigslistlieder.” She did indeed include one of my favorite Sondheim songs – “Moments In the Woods,” after alluding to the Sondheim Porgy & Bess controversy (or should I say The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess...), and assuring us that they're still friends.

She freely conversed with the audience, at one point saying, “I'm happy to be here. I'm really cold!” and that she had considered wearing a parka over her gorgeous long black gown. She also complimented the voice of a young woman a few rows from the stage when she had the audience sing along on a song, and was surprised that, when asked, the singer's ambition was to work in public health. She was funny, warm, charming, emotional, and the audience responded with applause, laughter, some tears (especially when she shared how she had gotten involved with Covenant House), and more applause. No one wanted the concert to end, and we begged for more (and she obliged). The orchestra played beautifully, as usual, but they definitely were in a supporting role.

A few days before the concert, I had been offered an “upgrade” to a post-performance meet-and-greet, so after the lights went up, my husband and I waited for the crowds to clear before heading to the Ranlet Lounge, where we were greeted by the marketing staff, several members of the board, and Charlie Owens, President & CEO of the RPO. Garth Fagan arrived with his entourage, and I didn't hesitate to steal a long hug from PJ. When Audra finally arrived, we politely queued to take our turn giving her our personal adoration and having photos taken. I never know what to say in these circumstances: “I'm such a fan” seems ridiculously fawning and redundant! So that's what I was, telling her I'd been her fan since seeing Master Class, and she was astonished that that was 20 years ago now. It was so gracious of her to give her time for a little RPO fundraising, but she seemed like the kind of person who understands how important it is to keep orchestras like the RPO alive and healthy. Let's hope the RPO plans more of these special concerts to connect with a wider community, so that new audiences can be exposed to and become supporters of this cultural gem. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, as usual Maggie. It was a wonderful concert and speaks to the importance of the RPO continuing to reach out to non-traditional audiences (whatever that means) with these unique concerts. You never know when someone attends such as concert and realizes this should be the beginning of many more at the RPO.

    ReplyDelete