Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuscany?...Provence?...Pittsford!

Reasons I hate biking on roads around Rochester:
Sunflowers on Clover Street in Pittsford
- careless drivers, or worse, dangerous drivers
- lack of shoulders on many roads
- obstructions on the shoulders of roads, where they do exist (for example, tree and bush trimmings in the spring and summer; piles of leaves in the fall; litter, like metal bits and broken glass; roadkill - ew!)
- chewed up gravel or depressed grates on shoulders, even those designated as 'bike routes'
- drivers who honk at you when you enter the lane to avoid any of these obstructions

But, oh, the reasons TO ride on the roads - just look at those sunflowers!  The rolling hills of the suburbs of Rochester provide some of the most wonderful views and varied scenery, from farms, like the one above (which reminds me of Provence or Tuscany), to housing developments, to parks.  My friend Susan rides with me occasionally (I'm slower and worse on hills than her normal biking buddies), and has shown me some beautiful, lightly-trafficked roads in Pittsford and Mendon.  On one ride in Mendon, we stopped to admire a gorgeous garden, while pretending to take a water break.  We were caught in the act by the owner - he emerged from his house, and when we complimented him on his landscaping, he invited us onto the property to admire his wife's fairy garden!  We were also welcomed to walk around the front yard, where I gathered more ideas for my own garden.

On another ride with Susan, she showed me the Mushroom House.  Too bad it's not a museum or B&B, because the photos of it on-line make you want to visit - it's very Gaudi-esque.  (It would be a difficult house to live in - not much room for your own furniture or artwork.)  I took Nanette by, when she visited recently, and we boldly walked up the driveway for a better view, since the property is currently for sale (for only $1.5 million?!).

I hope Susan hasn't tired of riding with me, because I haven't tired of discovering the beauty of suburban Rochester!


No comments:

Post a Comment