Saturday, July 6, 2013

6x6x2013 at the Rochester Contemporary Art Center

What a fantastic concept - get a bunch of artists (in this case, over 2500, although not all are professional) to donate a bunch of artwork (in this case, over 6000 works) with the unifying theme that they are all a particular size, and then charge only $1 admission and sell each piece for a modest $20, so that the art is accessible and affordable!  The gallery's goal was to sell 2000 of the 6000+ works, and they achieved their goal and then some.  What doesn't sell goes on their website and continues to be available forever, apparently (judging from the works that remain unsold from prior years), or until storage becomes an issue...

By the time I visited the gallery for the first time, most of what I would have considered purchasing was already sold, although I did manage to find three that sang to me.  When I returned a second time, I could only identify two of the three, so when I pick them up at the middle of July, I'll get a little surprise!  Next year I will be sure to attend the opening, when the gallery runs a raffle for the right to be among the first 20 purchasers (again, as Executive Director Bleu Cease explained to us, the raffle concept, rather than auctioning those spots, helps keep the event more egalitarian).  And even though I am the farthest thing from an artist, I am even considering submitting a few works for next year's exhibit (I've already bought supplies at Michael's and have a few ideas, but we'll see if I have the follow through, and the humility to see my pieces end up on the growing list of works that continue to be available on their website).  Was I disappointed to discover that the artists of my three purchases were not famous?  Not really, just as I hope whoever might buy my 'artwork' won't be next year!

For more information about the RoCo or 6x6 exhibits:
http://www.roco6x6.org/6x6x2013_intro.php
My only wish is that the website were more user-friendly, in terms of viewing the art.  It would be nice to be able to sort by sold/not, or move back and forth between the thumbnails and individual photos without having to start back at #1.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maggie! Do you have an email address we could use to send you some information about our upcoming 6x6x2014 exhibition? We really appreciate you sharing your previous experience with 6×6 on your blog.

    ReplyDelete